Mayra

November 19, 2009

The Swiss will ban the construction of minaret?

Switzerland will hold a referendum on whether to ban the construction of minaret at the end of this month. A politician’s party, SVP ‘’Swiss people’s party’’ strongly considers to ban building minaret in Switzerland. One of their reasons is, if we let Muslims build minaret then near 60 percents of Swiss people become Muslim in the next few years. In my opinion this reason is really ridiculous. They have hanged many posters in downtown in which a woman’s face with burqa and also some black minarets that are tearing up the Swiss flag are seen. SVP is an anti-foreigner campaign.
I was curious to know how Swiss people think about this issue and what their opinion is. I asked some of my colleagues and also friends who are Swiss. I expected them to say, we are against this and we don’t like to have minaret or we are going to support the SVP party. But they all said, we don’t like that much exaggeration. Moslems should have right to build mosque with minaret or without. We have a democratic country and we wouldn’t have such rules. One of them said: I don’t like that a minaret is built beside my home and for sure if they come and ask me: we want to make a minaret beside your home I say no, I don’t agree. But this shouldn’t be as a general rule for the whole country. Someone else said: There is no advantage in minaret ban. It’s just like pouring gas in the fire and making gap between different nations. This was the opinion of some students, I don’t know about normal people. By the way Switzerland already has 3 or 4 minarets and also mosques.
In Switzerland, if you want to build for instance a small barbeque place, in your garden or your yard, first you have to register then ask your neighbors whether they agree with you or do they let you build it? If they say No, then you cannot build it and would forget it or try to convince them again.
Here you can see the SVP poster.

I remember a couple of years ago one of our neighbors was building an apartment beside our house. He destroyed our yard’s wall suddenly. We built the wall again; even he didn’t come to apologize. He was really rudesby.

These days the weather is not that cold and temperature is between 5 until 15 degrees. It’s really great, I like it. This weekend temperature is going up till 16 degrees.
I work every day, five days per week on my thesis and one day is counted as my job. I could finally pass the mathematical calculations phase of my thesis somehow. I like my super wiser, he is very calm and smart enough. It means there is no reason to complain these days. Based on my experience some factors which can have effect on quality of your work is your boss or super wiser and also the place where you work. These two factors play an important role in your success. I like working in scientific area because you don’t see the serious job hierarchy there. People are very simple and easy, just try to learn more and get some results also they help you as much as they can when you ask them. You don't see fighting or competition for the higher position so much. You feel more comfortable in your job and can concentrate on your project. I may continue my job in scientific area although there is no so much money in it.



P.s. I don't care whether they ban the construction minaret or they don't. To me all religions come from the same root. Please don't try to convince me that Islam is not peaceful or it is. Related to those comments which are not so reasonable and have nothing to do with my post, in my opinion.

5 Comments:

  • I guess then U.S. is a more accepting country when it comes to religious issues. Tons of muslims live here with no problem.
    I hope you are doing well. Take care.

    By Anonymous S., at Thursday, November 19, 2009  

  • To S.
    In fact they don't have any problem with muslims. But this party has problem with every thing which is not swiss.

    By Anonymous Mayra, at Thursday, November 19, 2009  

  • check out this link in Australia's Daily telegraph.Especially a lot of the comments

    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/muslim-kids-bullied-my-son-over-salami-sandwich-during-ramadan-family-claims/comments-e6freuzi-1225797184694

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, November 19, 2009  

  • Hi mayra Jaan,

    I am happy that you are doing great.

    About minaret issue, it is a complicated issue in lots of countries to decide how far they can let other religons or culture mix with their! oh well who knows what is right these days!!

    Take care and enjoy the mild Fall in Switzerland!

    By Blogger Ocean, at Friday, November 20, 2009  

  • Dear Mayra.

    I apologize about that comment {link to article} for offending you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, November 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Maryam's bookshelf: read

Tempted

More of Maryam's books »
Maryam's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists