Mayra

November 22, 2010

We Iranians!

Today morning I saw one of the secretary ladies, who work at the administration office of master studies, while making tea in the kitchen. She asked me whether I know one of Iranian students who recently started studying master. I know him but not better than her. Apparently this new student behaves a bit strange. Once he went to her office and excused for some money (some kind of cadge)!! Once again he impolitely spoke to a professor who is the director of the institute and also master study. He is a respectful professor here.
I really felt sorry. Because the way of this secretary's talking was somehow like, this sort of behavior might be common in Iran but it is not acceptable here and so on.. .Just imagine on Monday, early morning facing such a story. Monday morning itself is weariful enough with group meeting. Now I was trying to explain and justify...I would mention this lady is really nice and kind and I like her.
In fact once I received an email from this Iranian guy when he was still in Iran. He wanted to know more about studying in our field and asked some questions which are quite normal to me. I receive these E- mails most of the time. The way of his speaking was a bit strange for me. I tried to answer his first and second E-mail then I preferred ignoring his E-mails. When he came here, he found my office and came to me to talk about finding job and apartment in the city although I couldn't help him at all. Finding part time job beside studying is almost impossible here and the rents are really expensive.
My impression was, he lives in his own world and I didn't like it. He was kind of exaggerating and I couldn't believe him so much. To make a long story short, since the faculty more or less faced some other similar stories before; they have made a decision not to accept any applicants from Iran anymore which is really disappointing. One comes here and does whatever he wants and as a consequence those ones who really want to study cannot come here anymore and get deprived.
That's why always I say we should behave carefully here. Because in Europe especially this country there is not many Iranians and they don't know our country well. They mix us up with Arabic culture or even worse with Taliban and Afghanistan. For instance I was asked few times that how many wives my father has!¨!

I know an Iranian who is used to asking: how old are you?!! as soon as he starts to talk to someone. Once I tried to make him understand very indirectly that he should not ask this question immediately, at least in front of those people whom he doesn't still know well but it seems didn't affect on him :-) Come on! Even in Iran asking people their age is not so courteous, especially when you are not that close with.
I believe that if someone decides to live in a foreign country because of any reason, has to respect to the cultures, traditions and rules of the country. I know at some point it gets really difficult. If you can't do it or don't like it or whatever else, you should not migrate. That's it. I don’t absolutely mean the west culture is perfect and better than ours. I mean just some sort of integrating and respecting.

5 Comments:

  • kamelan bahat movafegham ke in joor adama nabayad kolan bian.choonke kesi ba damaghsarbalayee o manam manam o in boodam o on boodam nemitoone inja survive kone kashki bishtar irania yek roozi ino befahman. vali inam kheily maskharast ke yek adam be dard nakhor baes beshe ke dige kolan admission az iran nagiran ,,, khob mage to am irani nisty? khob chera ino dar nazar nemigiran? albate mifahmam kolan maha ke too minority hastim hata to in shahr ke pore iranie raftarat faji ye ede be hame irania nesbat dade mishe,,,,
    booos

    By Blogger Nene, at Monday, November 22, 2010  

  • @Nene: Miduni chie khanomi, masalleh ine ke bishtare mavaghe injayeha pishfarze mosbati daran. masalan hatta ageh copy madraki erae bedi donbale asl madrak nistan vali khoda nakoneh ke ye ruz akse ghazieh sabet she. dieghe mahalee ke bavaret konan ya etemad konan. motasefaneh az iraniee ke sefran be in faculty umadan tu in do se sale mano ye pesare digeh farghol tahsil shodim, baghihe ye juarye vel matalan. kolan jaye rahati vase dars khundan nist makhsusan ageh kheiliam ahle dars khundan nabashi...

    By Anonymous Mayra, at Tuesday, November 23, 2010  

  • ama ziad ham nabayad be baazi sefat v raftarha irad geref. porsidan sen yek nafar age bozorgtar bashe che mard che zan khob ehteram be hamrah dare . vage kochectar bashan midonim gofar v raftar bayad joor dige bashe .
    Ama kasaii ke na hadaf daran na poshtekar baes mozahemat v dardesar baghie hasan ....v in a moshtagh nistan be tahsil . be khodeshone .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, December 04, 2010  

  • ama ziad ham nabayad be baazi sefat v raftarha irad geref. porsidan sen yek nafar age bozorgtar bashe che mard che zan khob ehteram be hamrah dare . vage kochectar bashan midonim gofar v raftar bayad joor dige bashe .
    Ama kasaii ke na hadaf daran na poshtekar baes mozahemat v dardesar baghie hasan ....v in a moshtagh nistan be tahsil . be khodeshone

    By Anonymous sam, at Saturday, December 04, 2010  

  • Hi mayra jaan,

    How are you. I underestand your point very well!

    By the way I did not see your comment, it seems you had written me one but it is not there..

    By Blogger Ocean, at Saturday, December 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Maryam's bookshelf: read

Tempted

More of Maryam's books »
Maryam's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists